L55 submarine was part of the Baltic Battle Squadron engaged in operations in support of the White Russians. Whilst in action against two Bolshevik Destroyers on 4th June 1919 she was sunk by colliding with a British moored mine. Bolshevik propaganda insisted that she was sunk by one of their Destroyers but given the capabilities of the Red Navy at that time this is unlikely.
On 11th August 1928 she was raised by the Soviets. The Admiralty via the Swedish Government requested that the bodies of the crew be returned. The Soviets insisted no British warship would be allowed to enter any of their Ports.
The British merchantman Truro took the 38 coffins on board at Kronstadt, they were then transferred to HMS Champion at Reval, Estonia on 30th August. An Estonian Guard of Honour fired three volleys and Royal Marine buglers sounded the Last Post. All shipping in the Port and government offices lowered their flags. HMS Champion left the jetty with the band playing Chopin’s Funeral March. The coffins were buried at Haslar Royal Navy Cemetery in Gosport, in a Communal Grave on 7th September 1928.