The Great War is a subject so broad and diverse and this project is just a starting point. Through recordings, photographs and personal stories, it looks into the commencement of the war in 1914, the era at that time, and Gosport’s involvement. This project was funded by Heritage Lottery and managed by Gosport Heritage Open Days to commemorate Gosport’s involvement through community workshops, 5 large textile pieces and accompanying soundtracks.
See the images and hear the audio here…
CLICK ON EACH PICTURE BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE…
We hope that through our findings we keep ‘Remembering the Unforgettable’ and honouring the part that Gosport and its community played in our history.
Our thanks to everyone involved for making this project possible:
- Heritage Lottery for funding
- Splodge Design for creation
- For all the individuals who helped us with this project from personal stories and recollections to informing our research, these include: Pam Braddock, Gareth Brettell, Terry Rhodes, Terry Hinkley, John Fletcher, Reg Norton, Brian & Allyson Rendle, Christine & Tim Seward, Lynne Thomson Chreiazomenou, THE GOSPORT AREA: memories and photos, past and present facebook page.
- To all the organisations including Search, Discovery Centre, Hampshire Archives, Pallant House, Explosion Museum, Royal Naval Dockyard Museum, Submarine Museum, Fort Brockhurst, Give Gain & Grow, Loud & Proud, Year 5 Leesland Junior School, Woodcot Lodge Residential Home.
- All the members of the public who came to our drop in workshops during Gosport Heritage Open Days at Fort Brockhurst. Our workshops have involved research, learning and making. Plus each group visited a local historical site/museum and had a local expert/historian talk. Together we investigated with our groups the sacrifices that Gosport and its community made in the Great War.
Our findings from all three of our First World War commemorative projects have been gathered together into a single Study Pack containing a hardcopy of this booklet and The Gosport Gazette, also a CD with audio tracks. These are available to schools or any groups who wish to explore our local heritage resource. To further compliment this, all of the creative materials such as textiles, information panels, interactive boards and timeline banners are available to loan on request.
Please email: email@example.com
or tel/text: 07531 001003 to discuss your needs.
Our online resources are freely accessible for everyone to enjoy and learn from.