St Marks Road, Alverstoke, Gosport, Hampshire, PO12 2DA
St. Marks Church was built in 1844 as part of Robert Cruickshank’s development of ‘Angleseyville’ and it was demolished in 1911. The cemetery remains today and the foundations of the church can still be seen.
Hear about the lives of the people who lay beneath this soil. The Guide will give you an insight into a number of those who in Victorian times and early 20th century lived adventurous lives and served their country and their society. This is a very peaceful area, with lovely flowers which adds to its serenity and beauty. St Marks Churchyard is a treasure in the history of Gosport!
Duration approx: 60 minute tour plus question time.
Please note that this is an Event from 2021
On-street parking is available in St Mark’s Road and Crescent Road. Space between gravestones is rather narrow in some places but wheelchairs can get to most of the site, which is level. The Churchyard is relatively small so no need to walk far, but seating is not available on site. A good event for those who don’t like crowds, also for sensory experiences of touch and smell.
Please arrive 15 mins before. This site, once over-looked and over-run, is now cared by its active ‘Friends’ group whose practical skills and gardening have maintained the churchyard as a pleasant memorial and garden in the Anglesey community. Two books have been written from the research carried out by volunteer, Roy Harris.
Books, woodwork and plants are available to buy, proceeds go to fundraising.
Friends of St Marks
For travel information about how to get to and around Gosport, click here.
Just off the junction with Crescent Road, opposite the Anglesey Hotel.